A specialist in reproductive endocrinology (RE) is a fertility doctor. REs are experts in female and male anatomy and physiology, focusing on the reproductive and endocrine (hormone) systems. Infertility, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and other reproductive disorders can all be properly diagnosed and treated by REs, and fertility preservation techniques like egg freezing and embryo freezing are within their purview due to their extensive training in these areas. They are the only medical professionals who can provide ART-based fertility therapies. 

Suppose you have been trying to conceive and have been diligent about things like monitoring your ovulation to determine your viable window and making sure your male spouse is taking steps to improve the quality of his sperm. In that case, you may wonder if and when you should seek additional assistance from someone at gen 5 fertility center.

Who should one go to when trying to have a baby?

See your OB/GYN first if you are attempting to conceive and have no reproductive difficulties. You may want to plan a “preconception” consultation with a new doctor to establish care before you get pregnant if you do not already have an OB/GYN. At this visit, you can be vaccinated, have any infectious diseases or conditions treated, and stock up on essentials like prenatal vitamins to ensure a healthy pregnancy and child.

When to Seek Professional Help?

The following conditions warrant a trip to a reproductive specialist:

  • You are under 35 years old and have spent over a year trying to conceive.
  • You have been trying to conceive for almost six months and are already over 35 years old.
  • You have experienced multiple miscarriages.
  • You have been told that you cannot have a child the traditional way or that you suffer from a reproductive condition such as polycystic ovary syndrome or endometriosis.
  • You are considering storing eggs or embryos to have children in the future.

If your period length is less than 24 days, greater than 35 days, or you are skipping cycles altogether, you may be experiencing irregular menstrual cycles.

How soon after a miscarriage should you see a fertility doctor?

Having a miscarriage is not always indicative of a reproductive problem or the need for fertility treatment. Miscarriage occurs in 15-25% of all medically documented pregnancies. Patients who have had a miscarriage are likely to have subsequent healthy pregnancies.

However, you may wish to consult a fertility professional if you have experienced recurrent pregnancy loss (defined as two or more consecutive miscarriages). IVF plus genetic testing, extra hormone support, and other methods can improve your chances of having a healthy baby.