One of the most common problems that people develop in the foot is bunions. This problem may happen to anyone, at any age but it mainly occurs in adults. Therefore, if anyone in your family has bunions, foot problems, or any other medical condition, you too may be at risk of getting bunions. It has been estimated that more than 64 million people in the United States suffer from this problem. According to research, women are more prone to develop bunions than men because they tend to wear tight shoes which disturb the balance of bones in the foot. And if your problem becomes severe, surgery is the only option left. However, there are several steps that you can take to prevent bunions Bakersfield:
- Wear the right shoes: The most important step that you can take to avoid bunions is to wear the right and comfortable shoes. You should make sure that the shoes you wear are a little loose, especially from the toe area and the heel height is not more than 1 to 2 inches. If your footwear creates uneven pressure while walking, it may lead to the development of bunions.
- Avoid wearing high heels: There is nothing that puts as much pressure on your toe as high heels. Therefore, it is advised that you shouldn’t be wearing high heels every day and if possible discard them altogether. However, if you still want to continue wearing high heels, ensure that the height of the heels doesn’t go beyond 1 to 2 inches.
- Give rest to your feet: Your feet are one of the most used body parts. They get exhausted while walking, standing, running, and doing day-to-day activities. They deserve proper rest. Therefore, make sure that you give them the comfort that they need and do not wear shoes for a longer period of time.
- Indulge in bunion stretches and exercises: Each and every part of your body needs to be trained and stretched so that they function properly. The same goes for your foot which bears a lot throughout the day. It not only improves the health of the foot but also reduces the chances of ankle pain and soreness.
- Don’t ignore foot pain: Bunions develop over a period of time and therefore, it is important to keep an eye on changes that may happen in your feet. Some of the early symptoms of bunions include pain, swelling, redness, etc. Therefore, whenever you begin to notice a lump adjacent to your big toe, consider getting it treated as soon as possible.